This episode of the Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast is light-hearted and fun! I always like to feature interesting and unconventional birth stories, interview experts on various pregnancy symptoms and complications, and discuss all things labor and delivery.
But every once in a while, I like to do an episode that is just, well, FUN! And that’s where this idea came from.
My sister Jenna (who has never been pregnant and is not currently pregnant!) came on for a little segment I’m calling “labor games”. I broke it up into four categories – and they were all a total hit!
So, if you’re looking for some easy listening, pregnancy-related fun, you’re in the right place.
Here’s a peek at what we talk about:
Labor game one: Crazy pregnancy craving quiz (8:20)
Okay! So game one is all about pregnancy cravings. I think anyone that’s been pregnant has had at least one significant craving (or aversion!) at some point during their pregnancy.
I went to Reddit and gathered up a list of crazy pregnancy cravings people actually posted. Then I sprinkled in a few made-up cravings for an added challenge.
The rules for this game are for Jenna to first say whether the craving is real or not, and then answer whether she would personally eat it!
Tune in for some good laughs, and maybe to make yourself feel a little *less* crazy for the things you craved during pregnancy (hah, or not!).
After we recorded this episode it occurred to me that this could make a really fun and unconventional baby shower game! So feel free to take the idea and make it your own. And if you do, I’d love to hear about it.
Labor game two: Pregnancy myth buster (19:30)
Alright, for our second game, I posed a bunch of pregnancy-related myths and facts, and Jenna had to say whether they were true or false.
Many of you probably know that Jenna works for me here at Mommy Labor Nurse. So she knows a little more about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum than your average never-been-pregnant-twenty-something.
I made sure to try to pick myths and facts we hadn’t posted about on the Mommy Labor Nurse Instagram account.
As you listen in, play along! Did you know which were facts and which were myths? I also give a little information on each one, so you’ll probably learn something new, too!
Here’s a list of the pregnancy myths and pregnancy facts we cover:
- When you get pregnant, you’re more likely to have bad breath (19:57)
- Your partner can have morning sickness (20:45)
- If you don’t eat what you’re craving, your baby will come out with a birthmark related to your craving (21:50)
- You are more likely to have carpal tunnel during pregnancy (22:27)
- If you have heartburn, you’re more likely to have a hairy baby (23:15)
- It is normal to pee when you laugh, cough, sneeze, or jump after you have a baby (24:46)
- The bigger your boobs are, the more milk you can make for your baby (25:50)
- For every 2000 babies. One is born with a tooth (26:25)
Labor game three: Pregnancy “Catch Phrase” (28:12)
If you know the game Catch Phrase, then you’ll get the idea of this game quickly! Basically, I describe a pregnancy or birth-related word without saying the actual word. Jenna has to guess as many as she can within a certain amount of time.
About halfway through this segment, Tiffany, another L&D nurse and member of the team here at MLN comes on for an added challenge.
This is another game that you could easily adapt for a baby shower 😊
Here are the clues we give so you can play, too!
You’ll have to tune in to hear the answers.
- This is the water that’s inside of your uterus.
- The pains that you get that are false before you have real ones.
- It’s not a procedure. It’s where you’re getting one of these to get the baby out.
- You have three of them during pregnancy.
- You put it on your belly to see the baby.
- This is the pains. What are they called?
- This is a big, bouncy thing that you sit on. And it’s two words.
- This is when you’re past the day that you are supposed to give birth.
- After the baby comes out, then the umbilical cord comes with it. And then what comes after that?
- This is when your doctor or provider cuts…
- We have to do this in labor. We check your…
- Not a doctor but the other big provider name.
- This is the first poop What is that called?
- The measurement that is afterwards with the baby and breathing color.
- When baby is booty first.
- If you’re not full this, you’re like 33 weeks or your 32 weeks.
- The metal thing that you stick in a vagina.
- A boob infection.
- They’re like big spoons that we put inside you.
- You don’t have a vaginal delivery. But what’s the other thing?
- When baby’s skin is yellow.
- What is the little tube that connects from the placenta to the baby that delivers nutrients and blood?
- This is a person that helps you with your labor.
- This is what somebody has after a C-section. What’s the abbreviated term after a C-section? You have a vaginal delivery?
Game four: Birth or sex? (39:15)
Alright, this last game comes with a disclaimer. It’s definitely a little more adult in nature if you catch my drift. This is a game that I’ve seen in a few other places (not an original idea!), but something I thought would be fun to include.
Basically, I play a few sounds, and Tiffany and Jenna tell me whether they think they are birth sounds or sex sounds. Tune in for a good laugh.
Well, mama, I hope you had a good laugh and got to play along a little bit in this episode of the Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast. I’d love to hear what you thought of this episode. Feel free to leave a comment below or shoot me a DM over on Instagram.