When it comes to talking about birth, epidurals are often a part of the conversation in one way or another. And I’d guess that most of you already know that epidural placement eliminates labor pain.
But beyond that? Well, a lot of people don’t actually know that much!
I often get questions about how epidurals are placed, how big an epidural needle is, if getting an epidural hurts, and lots more! So in this episode I unpack these epidural placement FAQs that frequently show up in my DMs. Additionally, you’ll get a bit of deep dive into WALKING epidurals.
Walking epidurals are very similar to a traditional epidural, but they allow for greater feeling and movement in the lower half of the body.
This makes them very appealing to mamas that want a sort of “hybrid” birth experience. One where the edge is taken off the pain, but not so much that they can’t move or feel the sensations of labor and delivery.
After you’re done listening to this episode, go ahead and check out Episode 31: What It’s Like to Get an Epidural, and Episode 101, where anesthesiologist and TikTok sensation Dr. Magnolia Printz came on the show to talk about epidurals from her perspective.
Questions covered in this episode:
- What is an epidural?
- When is the best time to get an epidural?
- When is it too late to get an epidural?
- What is the epidural placement process?
- What is the best position for an epidural?
- How long does the placement process take?
- How long does it take to start feeling the effects of the epidural?
- How big is the epidural needle?
- Does the epidural hurt?
- How long does an epidural last?
- What is a walking epidural?
- What are the pros and cons of the walking epidural?
- In what cases should you not get an epidural?
- What are the risks in getting an epidural?
Want to know more about epidural use during birth?
Get your FREE Epidural Birth Prep Pack to learn about this medical pain intervention, whether you’re team epidural all the way or maybe aren’t so sure yet.
Have an even better birth!
CLICK HERE to learn more about our online birth classes that will help you feel prepared and in control – no matter how you deliver.
And be sure to follow @mommy.labornurse on Instagram to join our community of over half a million for education, tips, and solidarity on all things pregnancy, birth, and postpartum!
- Episode 31: What’s it like to get an epidural?
- Episode 101: Talking Anesthesia and L&D with Dr. Magnolia Printz
Baby-Led Weaning Made Easy Podcast
Motif Luna Breast Pump
Are you in search of the perfect pump for your breastfeeding days? Proven to provide more milk in less time, the Motif Luna is a powerful breast pump that’s built for modern motherhood and covered by insurance. With a battery-powered or non-battery version, the Luna is perfect for today’s busy mom.
Click HERE to learn more about Luna and order one for your breastfeeding and pumping journey. And as a special offer for MLN podcast listeners you can get 15% off site-wide, including the Luna plus all supplies and accessories with code: MLN23. Some exclusions may apply.