In this week’s episode of The Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast, I am joined by a fellow mom with an extraordinary birth story that entails being pregnant and giving birth in a foreign country.
This birth story is told by Katie, whose husband was stationed at an American army base in Germany.
With the war in Afghanistan coming to an end and a flood of refugees needing medical attention, Katie wasn’t able to receive care at the base but found herself giving birth in a German hospital instead.
Today, she will share with us how she experienced the differences in healthcare systems and how a C-section unexpectedly became part of this international birth story.
A peek at the questions we covered:
- How was it to find out you are pregnant just having moved so far from home?
- Were there any cultural differences in sharing the news?
- In comparison to the US, how was your prenatal care in the first, second, and third trimesters?
- Were you able to choose between a midwife and OBGYN, as we do in the US?
- Was there a big focus on birth preparation during your prenatal care?
- What was your delivery plan? And did it go as planned?
- How long did you stay in the hospital after your C-section?
- How was your postpartum experience?
- Did you have any troubles with overseas health insurance?
- What was the most challenging part of your experience?
- Are you planning on moving or staying in Germany?
Katie Weschler is a California girl turned Army wife and new mom!
Just a few short months after moving to Germany for her husband’s overseas tour, Katie found out they were expecting baby Maximilian.
From exploring a new life in Europe to navigating the German healthcare system, 2022 was a whirlwind. She wis so excited to share her experience of giving birth abroad.
She can be found on Instagram @katieferb. Although her profile is private, she is happy to connect with others, especially fellow military spouses.
Motif Luna Breast Pump
Are you in search of the perfect pump for your breastfeeding days? Proven to provide more milk in less time, the Motif Luna is a powerful breast pump that’s built for modern motherhood and covered by insurance. With a battery-powered or non-battery version, the Luna is perfect for today’s busy mom.
Click HERE to learn more about the Luna and order one for your breastfeeding and pumping journey. And as a special offer for MLN podcast listeners you can get 15% off site-wide, including the Luna plus all supplies and accessories with code: MLN23. Some exclusions may apply.