A question I get asked during almost every shift at the hospital is for a list of pharmaceutical pain medications other than epidurals.
And while epidurals are kind of the gold standard when it comes to contraction pain – there actually are some other choices!
So, today on The Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast I’m going to dive into pain meds other than epidurals, with a special focus on IV narcotics and nitrous oxide for labor.
I’ll be touching on some non-medical pain management options and ideas too. And if you are looking for a deep dive into epidurals, be sure to listen to Episode 171 after this!
A peek at the questions we covered:
- Are there any pharmaceutical pain options other than epidurals?
- What are the most common pain medications used during labor?
- What are the pros and cons of Fentanyl during labor?
- What are the side effects of Fentanyl?
- What are the pros and cons of IV pain medication?
- What is a pudendal block?
- What is nitrous oxide?
- What are the pros and cons of nitrous oxide during labor?
- What are sterile water injections?
Want to feel more in control of your birth experience?
No matter how you plan to deliver, the FREE Birth Prep Guide is here to help you prepare.
Have an even better birth!
CLICK HERE to learn more about our online birth classes that will help you feel prepared and in control – no matter how you deliver.
And be sure to follow @mommy.labornurse on Instagram to join our community of over half a million for education, tips, and solidarity on all things pregnancy, birth, and postpartum!