This week on The Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast I am so excited to share my interview with internationally celebrated Peloton yoga teacher and scholar, Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts.
Widely recognized for her work with yoga and teens, Chelsea founded Yoga, Literature, and Art Camp at Spelman College Museum of Fine Art in 2014, which later birthed her non-profit, Red Clay Yoga.
While she has been part of the Peloton family within their yoga modality for two years, Chelsea has honed her style of yoga that blends contemporary hip-hop, electronic, and R&B with asana for nearly two decades.
As some of you may know, Chelsea is currently pregnant with her first child and during today’s interview, we talked all about the ways pregnancy has impacted her own yoga and meditation practice, and her teaching.
We touched on the benefits of yoga for pregnancy, the mindset with which women should approach prenatal fitness and their changing bodies, how yoga and meditation can play a role in erasing some of the fear and unknown of birth, and so much more.
A peek at what we talked about:
Part 1: Pregnancy Update
- How has your pregnancy been going through the different trimesters, mentally and physically? What has been keeping you feeling good?
- I know you experienced a loss that you shared about when you announced your pregnancy, how has that impacted this journey?
- Do you have a vision or wishes for your birth experience? How are you preparing for birth mentally and physically?
Part 2: Yoga and Meditation in Pregnancy
- Can you speak about the benefits of yoga for pregnancy?
- Can someone who’s never done yoga before start during pregnancy? How about meditation?
- What are your thoughts and beliefs surrounding prenatal fitness in general – what should the goals and mindset be for women to embrace their changing bodies?
- Has your pregnancy impacted the way you teach yoga and meditation or the way you look at it for prenatal and postpartum women?
- At Mommy Labor Nurse we often address the fact that birth is challenging because so much of it is “unknown” – we offer education and tools to help erase a bit of that unknown. Do you think yoga and meditation can play a role in that too? What has your personal experience with this been like?
- Where can our listeners connect with you and practice with you?
- Do you have any resources you’d like to share with our audience surrounding yoga and meditation for pregnancy and postpartum?
About Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts
Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts is an internationally-celebrated Peloton yoga teacher and scholar. Highly regarded as a leader in a new generation of yogis, she is passionate about making yoga and meditation accessible to everybody.
Widely recognized for her work with yoga and teens, Chelsea founded Yoga, Literature, and Art Camp at Spelman College Museum of Fine Art in 2014, which later birthed her non-profit, Red Clay Yoga. While she has been part of the Peloton family within their yoga modality for two years, Chelsea has honed her style of yoga that blends contemporary hip-hop, electronic, and R&B with asana for nearly two decades.
She has toured the world as a global yoga ambassador for Lululemon, collaborated with brands such as the NIH, Starbucks, and the NFL, and also has graced the cover of Yoga Journal twice as well as Experience Life magazine.
Through the Peloton platform and her prior experience, Chelsea’s celebrity supporters and clientele include Jennifer Garner, Shonda Rhimes, and Janelle Monáe, and her infectious smile and patient yet inspirational tone adds to her magic, a spell that deepens connections and calls her students and her 230K+ online community into action.