This week on The Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast, I had the opportunity to interview Erica Campbell, who is a mom of two, registered nurse, and international board-certified lactation consultant! Erica is also the face behind the growing Instagram platform @themilkmanual, where she aims to make lactation education chill and attainable for all.
If you’re a long-time listener of the podcast, you know that I’ve had the chance to chat with quite a few CLCs and IBCLCs over the years, so I wanted to make sure this interview took on a unique and new angle in the realm of breastfeeding. We broke down our interview into two main topics: preparing for lactation during pregnancy and navigating breastfeeding and the NICU, which is one of Erica’s specialties.
In the episode, you’ll learn more about Erica and her platform, find out what she recommends for breastfeeding prep during pregnancy, learn about the benefits of hand expression during pregnancy, and then we’ll get into lactation and the NICU!
Here’s a look at what we talked about:
- About you, your background in mother/baby nursing, your path to becoming an IBCLC, and your Instagram platform
- Let’s talk about breastfeeding prep during pregnancy. Can you share your top tips to help moms set themselves up for success before baby arrives?
- Can you speak a little bit about breastfeeding expectations vs. reality (learning curve, unforeseen obstacles, etc.)
- Hand expression during pregnancy is getting talked about more and more – can you talk about the benefits, how to do it, how mamas can go about bringing it with them to the hospital for birth, etc.
- I love that you offer an eBook all about lactation and the NICU, because it definitely poses a unique challenge that a lot of mamas can’t prepare for ahead of time! Can you speak a bit about top tips for breastfeeding and the NICU?
- Where can our listeners connect and get more from you?
About Erica Campbell
Erica Campbell is a mother of two, registered nurse, and board-certified lactation consultant currently residing in Houston, Texas.
Erica has worked with families for over 10 years and it has been her passion since childhood. In her spare time, Erica enjoys going on walks, listening to podcasts, going to cute coffee shops, and a nice book.