Do you have gestational diabetes? Well guess what, this episode is for YOU! And you know what, even if you don’t have gestational diabetes, this is a great episode to tune into.
GDM is typically diagnosed around 27-28 weeks – so if you’re pregnant and haven’t had your screening yet, listening to this episode is a great way to be informed about how to navigate GDM in case you get a diagnosis.
In this episode, I chatted with Leslee, a dietician who specializes in counseling mamas who have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
We talked about everything from what GDM even is, the screening process, where to start if you get diagnosed, exercise and how that plays a role, common myths, and more!
Here’s a peek at what we talked about
- About you, your credentials, mission + platform
- Can you give us an overview of what gestational diabetes is and how it compares to Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in the general population?
- How do we test for it in pregnancy & are there risk factors?
- If someone was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes where should they even start?
- What are some common GDM myths that you dispel on your platform and in your practice?
- ie: no carbs, no fruit, no desserts, the role of diet culture in GDM management
- What is fasting blood sugar?
- When is insulin used in pregnancy, are there ever times it cannot be managed with diet?
- Does exercise/activity level play a role in blood sugar management?
- Any other tips or advice you’d like to end with? Favorite resources?
Leslee Flannery is a Registered Dietitian and entrepreneur. She grew up and currently resides in Ohio with her husband and 2 boys.
Leslee has been working with pregnant mamas since she became a dietitian 8.5 years ago! She founded her business Mama Knows Nutrition in 2020 where she works with gestational diabetic mamas on lowering blood sugar during pregnancy!
Leslee runs a successful GD nutrition coaching program, The Better Blood Sugar Method, which has helped over 200 (and counting) women deliver healthy babies!
She also recently launched The Nourished Pregnancy & Postpartum Society, a membership that focuses on pregnancy and postpartum nutrition while troubleshooting the most common struggles for new moms.