This week on The Mommy Labor Nurse Podcast I did a solo episode talking all about C-section recovery! I put together this episode in honor of our new C-section birth class, Birth It Up: The C-Section Series that’s launching in July 2021!
As the basis for this episode, I was able to pull recovery tips that veteran C-section mamas dropped for me over on Instagram. I figured there is no one who can better speak to this better than the mamas that have gone through it first hand.
So, without further ado, let’s take a peek at some of the tips we go over!
Packing your C-section hospital bag (4:20)
I start off the episode by talking about what veteran C-section mamas wish they had put in their C-section hospital bag. In fact, I pulled this info from an article I put together last year (read it here!) because you guys blew me away with the suggestions! There is so much good advice.
Most notable were the TONS of submissions to bring high-waisted maternity leggings that go over the incision site, extra pillows from home for support in the bed (because hospital pillows are often the worst), and a smaller pillow to use on your incision.
When you listen to the episode you’ll hear me elaborate on tons more items and why they are so dang helpful during your hospital stay after your C-section!
What is something you wish you knew before you had your C-section (12:10)
In this part of the episode I share some comments from veteran C-section mamas about what they wish they knew before their C-sections. You’ll hear me follow up to their advice with a little bit about why it happens or any other insight I can provide from a medical standpoint.
Here are a few of the topics we cover, but there are way more in the episode!
- “The nausea that happens after the spinal and as they’re starting the incision.” (12:17)
- “It hurts to laugh.” (13:09)
- “I wish I knew how difficult the recovery is I pushed myself so hard after my C-section which delayed my healing.” (13:37)
- “I wish I had known about the post-surgery shakes and itchiness. My face felt so itchy for a few hours afterwards.” (14:26)
- “I wish I had known that you still get fundal massages afterwards.” (15:20)
- “I wish I had known about the elephant sitting on your chest feeling you get while trying to get the baby out.” (16:38)
- “A C-section is just as much a birth as a vaginal delivery.” (18:57)
- “I wish I had known that if you plan to breastfeed, your milk might take longer to come in. Mine took five days to come in.” (20:18)
- “I wish I had known the sooner you move the better.” (22:51)
- “I wish I had known about the gas pains after surgery.” (25:54)
- “I wish I had known how helpless I’d feel after. Picking up my baby required so much energy.” (27:03)
Remember to tune in to get more details on each of these and quite a few more! This is only about half of what I go over.
Wrapping up the episode
Thank you so much for joining me this week! If you’re having a scheduled C-section you’re probably tuning into this episode to try and get all of the C-section recovery tips and tricks you can. So I hope I was able to provide some insight for you.
If you have anything to add to this episode, or you want to share your recovery tips or just general C-section tips, leave me a comment below!