Looking for gender reveal ideas? You are in the right place!
Finding out the gender of your baby can be a really exciting time! And more and more of us are finding fun ways to share the big news.
Whether that’s a special way to have a private gender reveal or some unique ways to reveal baby’s gender at a full-blown party – we’ve got you covered!
We’ll also talk a little bit about the decision to find out baby’s gender or not, and then brainstorm the right way to find out the big news to help you pick what’s right for your family.
There are so many clever and creative ideas out there to make your little one’s gender reveal a moment to remember!
If you haven’t already, please feel free to join over 380k new moms and follow me here on Instagram for awesome pregnancy + birth tips!
Deciding whether to find out if it’s a girl or boy
Finding out whether you are having a boy or a girl is an exciting part of pregnancy for many families! This most often happens during the 20-week anatomy scan. With today’s technology, the ultrasound tech can *usually* tell whether you’ve got a little boy or girl growing in there!
Some of you might be able to find out baby’s gender even sooner if you get NIPT done early in the first trimester. These blood results are actually the MOST accurate way to know if it’s a boy or girl.
It’s estimated that a little over HALF of pregnant women in the US choose to find out the gender. Will you be one of them? I was actually team green over here, but I know what a big deal this is for so many of you!
And if you are team green, hold strong! I loved being surprised at birth—but also know how tempting it can be to have them tell you during your anatomy scan.
To find out baby’s gender or not?
- Will finding out the gender make it easier for you to plan or prepare?
- Will waiting to find out cause me stress or anxiety
- Will it be easier to choose a name if you know the gender?
- Will the surprise of finding out the gender at birth motivate you during labor?
- Do you like the idea of such a huge surprise?
- Would knowing, or not knowing, help you bond with baby better?
- How does your partner feel about it?
- Do you think you’ll be disappointed one way or the other? Would finding out ahead of time give you time to process
- Will visualizing life with your baby be easier if you know the gender?
When to find out baby’s gender?
If you do decide to find out, when? During the ultrasound? Later privately? At a gender reveal party? So many decisions!
- If you are having a gender reveal party, make sure the technician knows! Most are happy to give the gender results in a sealed envelope. Bring one along to make their life easier
- If you don’t mind finding out right then and there, tell them that, too! Many love delivering the good news
- If you want to have a little private gender reveal later with just your partner or immediate family, still go the envelope route to make things easy
You might also decide to find out with your partner, but surprise the rest of your loved ones with a fun or creative way to share the news. Basically, you can’t go wrong here! The options are endless.
Deciding to wait to do it live in front of your guests means you will either need to hand over the results to a trusted loved one to coordinate the party, or find a store, bakery, Etsy shop, etc. to give sealed results to and they can arrange the appropriate reveal colors.
What is a gender reveal party?
All right, if you’ve read this far and you’re not sure what I’m talking about, a gender reveal party is basically a fun way to share the news on whether you are having a boy or a girl!
Usually, this is done in a creative way that reveals the color pink or blue to indicate a boy or girl. It can be simple, or involved – there are a ton of different ways to do this!
Gender reveal parties can be small, intimate gatherings with just a few close family members, or full-blown parties with lots of guests.
Planning a gender reveal party
Hosting a gender reveal party is a fun way to not only share or find out baby’s gender – but it’s also a fun way to celebrate your pregnancy with loved ones! Baby showers are traditionally for the ladies (though don’t have to be!) but gender reveal parties give you a chance to celebrate with everyone in your life!
Like any party, you’ll want to first decide on your budget and guest list. This is a personal choice. Consider how much food and drink you’ll need to provide, time of year, and venue.
Will you be able to host this in your home or in the home of a family member or friend? Perhaps you want to have it at a restaurant and keep it on the smaller side. There’s no right or wrong answer here.
Themes, ideas, and decorations for your party
So a lot of the time, people go with a general “Boy or Girl?” theme for their gender reveal parties. This often involves traditional pink and blue decorations with a healthy dose of question marks thrown in the mix. But I see a lot of other cute ideas too! Let’s take a look,
Gender reveal themes
- “Twinkle, twinkle little star, how we wonder what you are?” – This lends itself nicely to a nighttime sky theme, star theme, or nursery rhyme theme for your gender reveal party!
- “He or She, what will it ‘bee’?” – this makes for a cute bumble bee theme, Winnie the Pooh theme, or a nature/flower theme
- “Pink or Blue, we’re already so in love with you”
- “Blue or Pink, what do you think?”
- Buck or doe for an outdoorsy theme
- Prince or princess for a “royalty” kind of theme
- Bows or bowties is a cute spin that would make for some great decoration options
- “Waddle” it be – for a duckling theme
- Touchdowns or tiaras
- “Bun in the oven, burgers on the grill, it’s a gender reveal BBQ!”
- “He or she, cut to see” for on the cake!
- Will our pumpkin be a “he” or “she” – this is cute for fall!
Creative and unique gender reveal ideas
- Photo: Take a fun photo with boy or girl baby gear and share via social media or in a mailed baby announcement
- Cake: Arrange for a bakery to make a dessert with a pink or blue colored center, don’t forget an adorable cake topper!
- Baseball: Hit a gender reveal baseball in front of your party guests or on camera
- Balloon to pop: Find a local party store that can fill balloons with pink or blue confetti or order them online, pop the balloons for the reveal – you might just hold a balloon or make it a game of darts
- Balloons in a box: Ask a local party store or trusted friend to fill appropriate colored balloons and seal them in a box. Open the box and let the pink or blue balloons fly!
- Party poppers: Order gender reveal party poppers that are filled with pink or blue dust or confetti
- Silly string: Have a silly string fight where the string reveal if its a boy or a girl – spray paint can work too!
- Piñata: Use a piñata to reveal if you’re having a girl or boy!
- Eggs: Gender reveal eggs are another option that’s cute especially if you go with a duck or nursery rhyme theme. There are even gender reveal dragon eggs for sale on Amazon if you want to take on a magical theme!
- Scratch off cards: Scratch off cards are a popular way to reveal baby’s gender to a group of guests – you could mail these out to people too!
- Sparklers: Gender reveal sparklers and fireworks are a thing too – but PLEASE keep safety in mind here
- Gender reveal candles: Candles are another cute option that I hadn’t seen before! When you burn them the label or wax is designed to turn pink or blue depending on what type you get. This is a nice option for a private gender reveal, too!
Gender reveal decorations
So if you are planning your own gender reveal, a kit can make your life so much easier and really bring your party to life with little effort! Luckily, Amazon comes to the rescue as usual here!
Let me share some of my top picks when it comes to gender reveal party ideas and décor from Amazon!
This huge party decoration kit has everything you need at a great value. With so much included, you’ll have to do very little more to make this a special day. This kit comes with a black balloon that you can pop to reveal baby’s gender!
This combo set includes poppers that puff powder and confetti in either pink or blue. Each set comes with two of each pink and blue. Consider buying a whole bunch so that party guests can get in on the popping action too!
These metallic hanging decorations run just about the right size to cover any doorway. They can also be used in more creative ways, like making a semi-transparent photo booth or running the length of the wall behind the food, games, or gifts.
These adorable party posters give your guests some entertainment and a little excitement. Let them get their guesses in, join a team, and even track those funny old wives’ tales that supposedly predict the gender!
This balloon drop is easy to set up and makes for a fun surprise when what just looked like a banner becomes the announcement itself, or at least a beautiful accent to mark your announcement.
This set of assorted balloons is perfect if you want to keep the decor to a minimum but want maximum class. Foil “girl” and “boy” balloons create a center point for 4 other types of balloons, giving this kit a beautiful and elegant feel.
This kit is positively brimming with everything you need for a fantastic party. Blue and pink balloons, a beautiful centerpiece and banner, and cake toppers and stickers too!
Fun gender reveal games
No party is complete without some games for entertainment! Here are some ways you can incoorporate games during your celebration:
- Old Wives’ Tales/ Gender Myth Results: Before the party, compile a list of Old Wives’ Tales that claim to predict baby’s gender. Write the results to each ‘test’ on a large chalkboard or poster board. Have guests cast a vote for boy or girl based on the Old Wives’ Tales
- Sonogram Sneak Peek: Frame a picture of your most recent sonogram and have it out on table along with a place for guests to cast their vote if it’s a girl or a boy. Watching guests analyze the sonogram (especially if they end up being wrong) is sure to bring lots of laughs
- Guess Who: Mommy or Daddy: Create a worksheet with a list of things only you or your husband did. Have guests guess whether it was mom or dad and share results once everyone’s is complete (or include an answer key on the back). Example questions: “Who has broken over 5 bones?” “Who has never left the country?”
- Pink vs. Blue Cornhole or Other Yard Games: If you have an outdoor party, yard games are a must! Add to the fun by making opposing teams pink or blue. Keep a scoreboard going to see whether pink or blue wins more overall. You can easily color-code games like corn hole, can jam, and yard darts
- Cast your Vote: Even if you don’t put out clues for your guests to use to inform their vote, you can still get creative with a voting system. Supply pink and blue necklaces and have guests select a necklace and wear it during the party. Get some cute “I voted” buttons for team boy or team girl!
Gender reveal picture ideas
So for some of you, a gender reveal party might not be on your list, but instead you want to take a great picture to share the news.
Something creative, clever, and unique to put over on Instagram or Facebook to let the people you love know that a boy or girl is on the way 😀
Here are some ideas:
- Take a sibling photo: “Promoted to big brother/big sister”, “Only child status expiring”, a big sister/big brother t-shirt, or just simply holding an ultrasound are all cute options!
- Use your ultrasound: Use the ultrasound picture and some cute baby boy or baby girl clothes/accessories, a letter board, or other fun accents
- Baby girl or baby boy-themed clothes: Position them on mama’s belly or held up between you and your partner’s hands
- Pink or blue accents in a maternity photo: A great photo of you or you and your partner with some gender-specific balloons or other pink/blue accents can make for a classic announcement
- Hand prints on mama’s belly: I saw a cute idea where the first picture is of mom’s belly in a white shirt with her hands in a heart, then she lifts up her hands to reveal blue or pink paint
- Use your pets: Dog-themed gender reveal photos are always super cute!
Private gender reveal ideas
A private gender reveal might be just between you and your partner, or with a few close family or friends. Either way, you can still make this a special moment to remember!
- Open a sealed envelope together and have a special meal to celebrate
- Record your reactions when you open the envelope to share with close family
- Have a small dinner party at a restaurant and wear things that provide subtle clues
- Enjoy a gender-reveal themed cake, cupcakes, or other dessert together or just with close family
- Go to a special spot or place that means something to you and your partner and find out the news together there
- Wrap up a special gender-themed book, outfit, or other item for your partner or close family members as a way of telling them the news
- Burn a gender reveal candle together over a nice dinner
Just remember this!
All right, mama! There are so many great ideas out there to make your baby’s gender reveal party one to remember!
How did you celebrate your baby’s gender reveal? Or what are you planning? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Happy party-planning, mama!