Want to learn more about the Mommy Labor Nurse epidural birth class, Birth It Up: The Epidural Series? Look no further!
Deciding which online birth class to take can be tricky. There are a lot of courses out there these days, and you’ve got in-person options to consider too.
You want to make sure that the class is going to get you totally ready for one of the biggest days of your life!
What’s more, a comprehensive birth class should educate you about postpartum recovery and caring for a newborn too.
Luckily, Birth It Up: The Epidural Series does all that and more!
Here is your go-to spot to find the answers to ALL your questions before you enroll. We want you to know this is the perfect class for you.
We’re so confident you’re going to love it, that we offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee! Mama, you’ve got nothing to lose but uncertainty.
Table Of Contents
- Birth It Up: The Epidural Series FAQs
- What is Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
- What’s included with Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
- Mommy Labor Nurse epidural birth class curriculum
- How long do I have access to Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
- Who should take Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
- Does Birth It Up: The Epidural Series take the place of a hospital childbirth class?
- Are Mommy Labor Nurse birth classes covered by insurance or HAS/FSA eligible?
- What Mommy Labor Nurse birth class should I take?
- General questions about birth classes and online birth classes
- What if…
- Does Birth It Up: The Epidural Series…
- Ready to rock your epidural birth?
Follow @mommy.labornurse on Instagram to join our community of over 630k for education, tips, and solidarity on all things pregnancy, birth, and postpartum!
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series FAQs
What is Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series is a complete online birthing class for women that know they want an epidural to be a part of their birth plan.
The reality is that most birth classes out there barely touch on epidurals – if they mention them at all! But we created a tailored class for you because we think in-depth education about epidurals is something you deserve.
We also know that if an epidural is in your plan, you’re probably nervous about the pain of childbirth – amirite?
So, in addition to the epidural deep dive, this class teaches tons of pain-coping strategies that you can use before your epidural is placed.
Taught by an experienced L&D nurse, Birth It Up: The Epidural Series covers everything typically taught in a hospital childbirth class – and then some!
When you enroll, you can expect to learn about:
- How to prep your body and encourage spontaneous labor
- What the different types of contractions feel like
- The ins and outs of all FOUR stages of labor
- What to expect when it comes to cervical checks, monitoring, and inductions too
- The reality of labor pain – and the best positions and strategies to manage it before your epidural is placed (or if things go too fast!)
- A deep dive into epidurals including placement, pros and cons, when to get one, and more
- Pros and cons of all pharmaceutical pain relief options
- How to push your baby out like an absolute pro (even with an epidural!)
- What to expect in terms of postpartum care and healing in the first 6 weeks
- + Tons of other tailored, game-changing tips
What’s included with Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
When you enroll in Birth It Up: The Epidural Series, you get:
- 10+ hours of video content covering the final weeks, birth, postpartum, and more
- Exclusive printables to support your education
- 5 bonus lessons to enhance your learning
- Private Facebook community for support
- Unlimited, lifetime access
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- The ability to switch to another class anytime during your pregnancy – for FREE
Mommy Labor Nurse epidural birth class curriculum
Lesson 1: Welcome Mama, Start Here!
- Learn how to get the most out of the class
- Receive a curated list of resources
- Access the private Facebook group
Lesson 2: The Mentality of Labor
- Eliminate fear by adopting the right mindset
- Get PUMPED for labor (yes, really!)
Lesson 3: Research and Planning
- Learn about the roles of all the professionals on your birth team
- Gain insight into choosing a provider (or evaluating if yours is a good fit!)
- Consider where you’re giving birth and spot potential red flags
- Find out how to advocate for yourself and be an active member of your care team
- Get support creating your birth plan
- Pack a hospital bag with the help of an L&D nurse
Lesson 4: The Final Weeks
- Get educated about third trimester monitoring and tests
- Find out how to deal with common third trimester discomforts
- Learn exactly when to call your provider and spot red flags
- Know about the signs, risks, and protocol of preterm labor
Lesson 5: The Anatomy of Pregnancy
- Health class basics we all forget – female and pregnancy anatomy
- Learn all about baby’s position and why it matters
- Find out the importance of spontaneous labor
Lesson 6: Natural Ways to Induce Labor
- Find out about the role of prepping your body for labor when it comes to natural induction
- Learn 20+ evidence-based techniques that may induce labor
- Discover what specialists you can see to help get things going
Lesson 7: The Anatomy of Labor
- Get a deep dive into the labor timeline and process
- Learn ALL about contractions, how they work, what they feel like, how you’ll know you’re in labor, and more
- Discover the ins and outs of your water breaking
- Know exactly what to expect when you arrive at your birth place in labor
- Get an overview of special considerations and scenarios so you’re prepared for whatever birth has in store
Lesson 8: Non-Pharmaceutical Pain Control Options
- Learn about different breathing techniques and how/when to use them during labor
- Find out about the power of relaxation techniques and specific ones you can use during labor
- Get a guide to different labor positions to do on your own or with your partner
- Access explicit info and tips for back labor, in case that happens to you
Lesson 9: Pharmaceutical Pain Control Options
- Get in depth information on all pharmaceutical pain options
- Take a deep-dive into epidurals including their benefits, side effects, and contraindications
- Learn about the actual epidural placement procedure so that you can handle it like a boss
- Find out what happens after it’s placed including how quickly you can expect relief!
Lesson 10: Oops, I Accidentally Went Natural!
- Hear an introduction where Liesel talks about scenarios where things might go too quickly for you to get your epidural (yes, it can happen!)
- Understand the mental component of birthing without an epidural and how to tap into that strength if you find yourself needing to
- Have a plan for what to do if you feel like you just can’t do it anymore (spoiler: you can!)
Lesson 11: Pushing and Delivery
- Deep dive into pushing and find out when it happens, different methods, what to expect, pushing positions, and more!
- Learn the specifics of tearing, the chance of it happening, and how to reduce your risk
- Find out about the third stage of labor – delivering your placenta
- Get an overview of potential complications and what to expect if they happen to you
Lesson 12: Unplanned C-Sections
- Understand the most common reasons for unplanned C-sections
- Find out the difference between emergency and non-emergency C-sections
- Learn how things will unfold in the operating room in case you find yourself there unexpectedly
- Get insight into the C-section recovery process
Lesson 13: Your Hospital Stay
- Learn exactly what to expect in the first 48 hours after birth
- Know what to expect for baby in the first 48 hours after birth
- Find out what’s normal and not for your newborn’s appearance and behavior
- Get tips for how to make the most of your hospital stay
- Know what to expect surrounding going home
Lesson 14: Your Postpartum Recovery
- Get an overview of postpartum essentials to stock up on now
- Learn about your physical and mental recovery for the first 6 weeks after birth
- Discover what to expect beyond 6 weeks
- Know about common postpartum symptoms you may experience
- Learn when to call your provider and spot red flags postpartum
- Get a special message from Liesel about adjusting to your new normal
How long do I have access to Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
After enrolling, you have unlimited, lifetime access to your class.
This means you can enroll at any point in your pregnancy and access (or revisit) the course whenever the timing is right.
You can even access it again as you prepare for future births!
Who should take Birth It Up: The Epidural Series?
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series is for mamas who want to:
- Receive positive birth education specific to your goal of having an epidural
- Be excited, not anxious, heading into labor
- Understand the benefits, potential side effects, and what to expect from your epidural placement
- Have a step-by-step playbook for how epidural births typically unfold
- Get educated about inductions, unplanned C-sections, and potentially birthing without an epidural so they’re at ease if things don’t go as planned
- Learn what to expect from their postpartum recovery and how to care for their newborn
Important: If you don’t know what your birth goals are (or which class to take) – we recommend taking this class!
That’s because you’ll get a deep dive into epidurals and pharmaceutical pain relief options, but you’ll still learn tons of natural pain-coping techniques as well.
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series is the best way to get prepared if you’re not yet sure what you want!
Does Birth It Up: The Epidural Series take the place of a hospital childbirth class?
Yes! All the Mommy Labor Nurse birth classes take the place of your in-person hospital class. The curriculum was designed to cover everything you would learn in a typical childbirth class at your hospital, but with added info for a more comprehensive and tailored experience.
Are Mommy Labor Nurse birth classes covered by insurance or HAS/FSA eligible?
All Birth It Up classes (Natural, Epidural, and C-Section) are eligible for HSA/FSA reimbursement under most insurance plans. Be sure to ask your insurance provider about coverage and documentation requirements.
Some insurance plans may cover the cost entirely or reimburse a portion of the class enrollment. We’re happy to see legislation changing on this at the state level – with more than 14 state Medicaid plans covering the cost of childbirth education.
Reach out to your insurance provider directly to find out about your unique situation.
What Mommy Labor Nurse birth class should I take?
General questions about birth classes and online birth classes
When should I take a birth class?
Let me start off by saying this: there is no wrong time to take a birth class! But if we had to pick – the very best time is at the end of your second trimester or early in your third trimester.
This will allow the information to still be fresh on your mind if you get to your due date, while also ensuring you’re prepared in the event of preterm labor.
With lifetime access, you can even do a quick refresher as you get closer to your delivery date.
However! If you’re past that point in your pregnancy, know that it is definitely not too late. The birth preparation aspect of the course is around 8 hours long – and totally binge-able in a weekend. You too can feel calm, excited, and actually ready for labor to start!
What are the benefits of an online birth class?
- Access is 100% on-demand, meaning you can watch the lessons when they fit into your schedule
- Better retention of information! You can revisit specific lessons as needed, as many times as you want
- There are supplemental materials that accompany your online class
- You can choose a class that best suits YOUR needs and goals for birth
- There’s a community element in the form of a private Facebook group moderated by L&D nurses
- Your teacher is a practicing labor and delivery nurse who’s seen it all!
Evidence-based benefits of childbirth education:
According to research, women who receive childbirth education experience:
- Increased confidence in their body’s ability to give birth
- Decreased fear about the labor and delivery process
- Improved communication with their care providers
- Fewer unplanned C-sections and other medical interventions,
- Less perineal trauma
- Increased satisfaction with birth
- Reduced rates of postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety
I change my mind about what kind of birth I want, or need a scheduled C-section?
No problem at all! We will swap you into a different birth class for free.
Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I end up needing to be induced?
We know that around ⅓ of all mamas will need to be medically induced. And that can definitely result in some anxiety.
When you enroll in Birth It Up: The Epidural Series, your curriculum includes an entire bonus lesson specific to medical induction.
This way, if your provider ends up recommending that for you, you can access the material instantly to feel confident and prepared!
I am a second (+) time mom? Will this class still help me?
We have had thousands of veteran moms take our online birth classes because they wanted to make sure things were different the second time around.
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series is a great choice for veteran mamas that are hoping to have a redemptive birth experience where they feel more in control.
I am hoping to VBAC. Will this class still help me?
Here at MLN we love a good VBAC and want to empower you to make that a reality if it’s safe for you.
That’s why Birth It Up: The Epidural Series includes a special bonus lesson with info just for my VBAC mamas.
I don’t live in the U.S. Will this class still help me?
Over 90% of the content is applicable wherever you are giving birth.
The timeline of birth, anatomy of contractions, pushing, pain-coping tips and strategies, recovery, and more is the same everywhere!
We have had mamas take the class from Australia, Europe, Asia, South America, the Caribbean, Canada, and everywhere in between!
Does Birth It Up: The Epidural Series…
Teach about newborn care?
Yes, it does! All three versions of our birth class – including this one – come with Newborn Basics 101!
This 2.5-hour bonus section will prepare you and your partner to hit the ground running as new parents.
Newborn Basics 101 will help you:
- Learn the ins and outs of diapering your baby
- Feel confident giving your baby their first bath and caring for their skin
- Get information about the basics of feeding your baby including high-level overviews of: breastfeeding, supplementing, formula feeding, and bottle feeding
- Know all the tips and tricks to spot and manage burping, gas, spit-up, reflux, and allergies
- Find out about newborn checkups and development
- Learn what’s normal and what’s not when it comes to crying, pacifiers, and colic
- Be prepared to deal with your baby’s first cold or other illness
Teach natural pain-coping strategies?
While Birth It Up: The Epidural Series is unique because of the extensive education surrounding epidurals, it ALSO includes a lot of non-pharmaceutical pain coping tips.
We want to make sure you’re well-prepared to handle the pain of labor before you can get your epidural or in the event that things go too quickly.
After completing this class, you will have a toolbox FULL of the game-changing strategies and tips you need to handle the pain including different positions, breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, mindset strategies, and more!
Teach about emergency C-sections?
Birth It Up: The Epidural Series includes an entire lesson dedicated to unplanned C-sections. You’ll learn what might warrant a C-section, the difference between emergency (emergent) C-sections and non-emergent C-sections, what the timeline and process will look and feel like, and what to expect from recovery.
We recommend every mama get educated about C-sections just in case it winds up being safest for you! That’s why this lesson is included in the class.
Prepare partners for birth?
One of the aspects of Birth It Up: The Epidural Series you’ll love is the fact that there is a special bonus lesson designed for partners.
This way, if they don’t complete the entire class with you, you’ll know they’ve got the specific knowledge they need to understand the timeline of birth and how to best support you!
In that lesson, they’ll get a cheat sheet of support techniques, learn how to help you cope with tough contractions, get a crash course in the anatomy of labor, and understand what they can do during postpartum, too.
Ready to rock your epidural birth?
Mama, I hope that you can see Birth It Up: The Epidural Series will give you everything you need to have the positive birth experience you deserve. I can’t wait for you to get started!